Saturday, October 27, 2007

Priorities

Sometimes, I unknowingly shuffle my priorities. You know, put myself first or my career by jumping into the "rat-race". I will catch myself from time to time and remember the cost Jesus told us we'd have for following Him. He wants to make sure our priorities are in the correct order. In Luke 14:26, Jesus says, "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters-yes, even his own life-he cannot be my disciple".

Now Jesus didn't really want us to "hate" everyone. The point he was making is rather simple. Jesus wants us to make Him the number one priority in our life. That is it. To put away your fleshly desires and follow Him as the number one priority.

When my wife was pregnant with our first child, I was working nights at our church. She called me and said she was having some problems. Believe it or not, to me, I had a problem. You see, I was taught to make work your number one priority. How was I going to leave work? I approached our youth pastor, who was the only pastor on campus, and told him my problem. He gave me a bit of wise counsel that I will never forget. He told me where my priorities should be. Jesus, Family, and all other stuff comes last, including self-and yes, even maintenance at the church.

It's funny, the church in America even struggles from time to time with priorities. You can see it in many churches. Numbers over truth is what I like to say. They are more interested in building a large church and not really about preaching truth at all cost. I also here churches today say they are scaling back so people can spend more time with family and hobbies and the like.

So what priority should be first and way out in the lead, nothing but Jesus.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did Greg Laurie ever go to seminary or any type of christian education? Is he emergent? I went to his website and I didnt find much...

Anonymous said...

Very good post, by the way!

Scott said...

Hey msvoboda:

What do you mean by "Is he emergent"? It seems this buzzword "emergent" could mean a lot of things these days.