Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Power from the Holy Spirit

When I think about the birth of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost, I realize just how vital He is to our Christian walk. As I was pondering this issue, I came up with this somewhat corny illustration of how important the Holy Spirit really is.

I’m not sure if you have heard of the outdated computer game SimCity, not The Sims, but SimCity where you create a city. Anyway, many years ago, I used to love that game. For those of you who have never heard of this game, you start off with a large plot of land (city size) and begin to create your city. You need to zone the property industrial, commercial, and residential. I can remember first playing this game and zoning the land and I began to wonder why it wasn’t being developed. Nobody was moving to my city. As I checked out the different buttons on the game I discovered one for electricity. It had two choices, power plant or power lines. Wow, I thought. So I put in a power plant and began to run some power lines to the zoned land. What do you know; the land slowly began to be developed. Even nearby land was developed because of the energy being passed from “next door”.

You see, this is a good example of how the Holy Spirit works. Without the Holy Spirit, we are just people flowing uselessly around this world. Yes, God may have zoned us for something specific, but we will not be developed until we are energized with the power of the Holy Spirit. You may not be a Christian now, but maybe God has “zoned” you for something incredible in His kingdom. Without the energy from the Holy Spirit, you will never be fully developed to carry out God’s work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.