Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Ornamental Fruit

I remember as a kid when I first heard about ornamental fruit. I just couldn't figure out the reason for this ornamental fruit. It looked like the real thing, but I was told some actually contain poison. Growing up in Arizona where citrus trees are common, I remember as a kid pulling fruit from trees and eating it right then and there. After learning about ornamental fruit, I soon realized I had to be very careful to make sure the fruit I was looking at and about to eat was real or simply ornamental.

Jesus talks about bearing fruit with this warning, “Therefore every tree which does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire" (Luke 3:9). Is Jesus telling us to cut down the trees with the ornamental fruit? He does say to save only those that bear “good fruit”. What is “good fruit”? Well, the obvious answer for "good fruit" is fruit that is pleasing to God. Therefore, bad fruit is that which is displeasing to God. Maybe referring to evil deeds. But I want you to ponder something with me. What about fruit that has the appearance of “good fruit”. You know it looks real and may even smell real, yet it contains poison.

I believe we can expect to see an increase in “ornamental fruit” in the church. It may not be as obvious as we might think. It may not be the pastor preaching heresy from the pulpit. It may be a pastor doing things in the community that really draw attention to himself. He now gets to go on the news. He is interviewed for the newspaper. He gets to stand in front of the congregation and say look what I have done.

We must be careful about the fruit we claim as "good fruit". We must test all thing against the absolute truths found in the Word of God.