Thursday, August 16, 2007

Do you carry a "Jefferson Bible"?

I was recently reading some information about the "Jefferson Bible", Thomas Jefferson that is. As you may know, the "Jefferson Bible" is a book where Thomas Jefferson took the four gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) and arranged them in chronological order. However, he also omitted sections that his mind couldn’t comprehend. For example, the virgin birth.

As I read this, I couldn’t help but think of a parallel to a movement today. A group of younger "believers" who have identified themselves as "postmodern" believers to some degree hold this viewpoint. They too, have personalized Jefferson Bibles, don’t they? I was talking to someone the other day about these postmoderns and I described them this way. They have decided it is okay to make their "Jesus" into what they what him to be. You know, "my "Jesus" is okay with my getting drunk every weekend, and I know your "Jesus" is okay with your homosexuality, so lets not judge eachothers "Jesus".

Whenever I hear this, I can’t help but think of Hebrews 13:8, "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday today and forever". Praise God for that.

No comments: