Monday, November 19, 2007

Humbled by a Hubcap

Humble yourselves in the presence of the Lord, and He will exalt you. (James 4:10)

A number of years ago, someone attempted to steal a hubcap from my car. Apparently, they didn’t know it had lug nut locks and had to be unlocked before removing. As they tried to steal it, they broke it in half. So for a few years, I played the cheap hubcap shuffle. You know, buy a cheap set, put them on but replace after they begin passing you as you are driving down the road. Finally, I decided to put the original set of three back on and drive with one missing. This was truly a humbling experience for me. God used hubcaps to teach me where my heart should be. Not on the material things in life. I could have continued to spend money replacing the cheap hubcaps each time they broke. God taught me otherwise. He taught me that my worth is not in what I drive or how I dress or what part of town I live in. What matters is can I truly humble myself in His presence. Can I truly lift my heart to Him in worship? Can I develop that intimate relationship with Him through His Word?

There are so many distractions out there that interfere and compete with the time we should give to God humbly. God has given me a constant reminder of where my heart needs to be. I get that reminder each time I see my car.

May God give you a hubcap experience!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are right on Scott!!