Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Did he say "sin"?

I heard a preacher on the radio recently promise his congregation, from that day forward, he would never use the word "sin" in his sermons. In this day of "seeker-sensitive" churches, this unfortunately is becoming the norm.

It seems to me it would be nearly impossible to preach the Word of God and not use the word "sin". Some of my favorite verses contain the word "sin".

"for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God".
Romans 3: 23 (NIV)

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ dies for us".
Romans 5:8 (NIV)

"Then Jesus said to her, Your sins are forgiven".
Luke 7:48 (NIV)

These are just a few of my favorites. As a matter of fact, it's difficult to open the Word of God without running in to the word "sin". I don't know about you, but I need to be reminded that I am a sinner. Without the word sin, Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection was all for no reason.

It is my prayer that preachers all over the world make it a point to remind us frequently we are sinners and we desperately need Jesus in our lives. More specifically, preachers need to preach the entire Word of God including those "touchy" areas where specific sins were dealt with.

In a future series of blogs, I plan to tackle Colossians chapter 3, known by some as "rules for Holy living". In this series, I will address these "touchy" areas, sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires, and greed. I will look at the apostle Paul's advice in how to deal with these issues.

But now I leave you with this, never forget you are a sinner but the blood of Jesus can cover those sins. If you've never asked Jesus into your heart and taken Him as your personal savior, do it today. Pray to Jesus letting Him know you are a sinner and ask Him into your life. But make sure you don't do it alone. Seek the wisdom of a good Bible teaching church to help you through this life changing journey.

No comments: